Ditch the Chips at the Beach
Posted on July 11th, 2016 to Eco Friendly
Who doesn’t love going to the beach? Especially in Florida, beach weather can be almost year round. Packing the cooler can seem like an easy task, until someone realizes there’s nothing but junk food inside it. So instead of wracking your brain trying to figure out what to put in the cooler instead, we did it for you! Here are our top 14 foods and drinks to pack away instead.
- Easy fixes includes all kinds of fruit! From the kind you peel to picking up containers of pre-cut pieces at the grocery store if you don’t want to do it yourself or just don’t have the time.
- Whole wheat crackers and hummus – still missing your chips and dip? Well say hello to a healthy alternative! You can find an easy hummus recipe here.
- Trail mix or snack mix – easy to do at home with any choice of dried fruits and nuts. The good things about it is its easy customization for everyone and it doesn’t need to take up space in the cooler if everyone wants their own separate mix.
- Popcorn – Another great idea that needs no cooling or heating and comes in many flavor options and even organic ones!
- Banana pops– Cut a banana and dip it in yogurt, then roll it in your child’s favorite cereal. You can stick it on a toothpick or Popsicle stick to make it easier to eat.
- Tortilla wraps – a sandwich alternative that allows for eating less bread or for just trying something new!
- Organic brownies – a great choice for a dessert to your lunch! We chose brownies because they are super easy to divide into little pieces that allow for limiting the family’s sugar intake while still satisfying the old sweet tooth!
- The number one choice has to be fruit and veggie smoothies. The best part about these is the countless organic options that can be thrown into a blender super quick and easy before you leave for the beach and packed in a cooler.
- Frozen apple and orange juice- freeze the juice before you leave and it will thaw into a chilly and refreshing drink as it heats up. It doesn’t get much easier.
- Protein drinks – going to the beach to play sports all day? Protein drinks can help rebuild all those muscles everyone will be using to run around all day.
- Sports drinks – another way to go to replenish electrolytes and help to re-hydrate, especially important when sweating in the hot Florida sun all day.
- V8 juice – want to get all your fruits or veggies or both? Don’t have time for blending everything yourself? So many flavorful options and different sized bottles that don’t need to be chilled until opened, these are always a quick fix that can be picked up at the supermarket.
- Assorted drink mixes – so many drink mixes are available the options are endless! Good choices are the ones with added vitamins, fiber, or zero calories; although a few extra calories for the day will helpful for running around the beach all day. Try putting an assortment of flavors into one box so everyone has options without bringing a whole bunch of different boxes.
- Water – This one needs no extra explanation for a day to the beach. Hydration is super important when staying in the sun all day, especially when it’s around ninety degrees or more. But who says water has to be the same old boring water? Throw in some fruit into the water bottle the morning or night before the big trip to give some added flavor. Another option can always be the sparkling water for added bubbles!
Summers can be a blast at the beach. We hope your days there are safe and healthy for the whole family, all summer long. Don’t forget the sunscreen!