MONEY SKILLS FOR CHILDREN
Talking about money with your family should be a positive experience. The more openly you discuss finances with your children the more comfortable they become with money, savings and budgeting leading to more financially savvy adults.
Here are some guidelines to get you started:
• Money talks. Discuss money on an every-day basis. Whether it’s running errands or planning a family trip.
• Do as I do. At the end of the day you, as a parent, have the most influence on your children.
• Every child is an individual. Each child should have a different approach to how they manage their money depending on age, preferences and personality.
• All children are equals. While each child is unique and their approaches to money should be discussed to suit them individually; both girls and boys should learn the valuable lessons in budgeting, investing, spending and saving.
• It’s a family affair. Try to involve your children in some financial family decisions. For example give them vacation options with prices, share the pros and cons of each and make a decision as a family!