Mushrooms for Dogs with Jason Scott on Your Natural Dog Podcast
Mushrooms are one of the next big trends in holistic wellness, but how can we make sure the products we’re buying are safe and effective? In this episode, Jason Scott joins us to share his expertise about all things mushrooms. He breaks down the difference between terms like mushroom extract, ground up mushroom, wild crafted mushroom, and double extractions to help pet parents figure out which products are best for them and their animals. Jason is a mycologist, ethnobotanist, and spagyricist who has spent the past decade studying traditional hermetic alchemy. He’s also the founder of Feral Fungi and curator of the website AlcheMycology, as well as having collaborated with Your Natural Dog host Angela Ardolino on her line of sustainable mushroom tinctures for dogs, MycoDog.
- It’s difficult to find a trustworthy, U.S. based medicinal mushroom brand (1:20)
- Are mushrooms from China safe? (6:29)
- Why is a wild harvested/wild crafted mushroom best? (8:44)
- What is a whole mushroom extract, and why is it important? (11:36)
- Make sure you’re buying mushroom extracts, not just ground-up mushrooms (17:30)
- The benefits of double extraction (20:48)
- We know some of the benefits of mushrooms, but we don’t have the full picture (22:40)
- What is a myco alchemist, and what are Spagyrics? (24:06)
- Check back for part 2 on our favorite mushrooms and how they help our dogs (32:30)
- Follow AlcheMycology on Instagram
- AlcheMycology Website
- Use code SHROOM15 for 15% Off all MycoDog products
- Have a question about your pet that you want answered on the podcast? Email us at email@example.com
- Sign up for 10% off your first purchase on the Your Natural Dog store
- CBD Dog Health
- Your Natural Dog
- Do No Harm: Free Event – The Opioid Crisis of Veterinary Medicine
Note: Like all discount codes, they don’t last furever!
About Angela Ardolino
Angela Ardolino is a holistic pet expert who has been caring for animals for over 20 years. Angela owns and operates Fire Flake Farm, her animal rescue farm, as well as two locations of a natural pet salon and shop, Beautify the Beast. She’s also the founder of CBD Dog Health, which offers high quality, all-natural cannabis health and wellness products. As well as the founder of MycoDog, a sustainable mushroom tincture line designed for dogs and Your Natural Dog where she hand-picks natural products alongside trusted vets for dog owners like you.
To see Angela on her rescue farm today, surrounded by animals, is to truly see her in her element. Looking at this furry, joyful family you would never suspect that Angela and her pets were once full of aches, pains and anxiety. Angela is the mother to Odie (15-year-old mini-schnauzer), Nina (10-year-old Doberman), Jolene (9-year-old mutt), Maza (9-year-old mutt), Rhemi (10-year-old poodle), multiple ducks, roosters, chickens and geese, plus pigs Ellie and Penelope, Brenda the one-legged pigeon, and the many dogs that she fosters from time-to-time at Fire Flake Farm.
About Jason Scott
Jason Scott is a Mycologist, Ethnobotanist and Spagyricist who has studied traditional Hermetic Alchemy, from history and philosophy to practice, for the past decade. He has a background in Ethnobotany and Plant Medicine that started on the Big Island of Hawaii, and has carried back with him into his home: the Pacific Northwest. Born and raised in Oregon, Jason has an intrinsic interest in the Fungal Queendom and all of its aspects: from cultivation and mycoremediation, to historical and cultural relationships. Jason has studied various different healing modalities including Ayurveda in Nepal and Western Herbalism all over Oregon and Washington. He is on an ever-deepening journey of education to understand the practical applications of his interests, and the golden threads that connect them.
Jason has been published on the topic of AlcheMycology, exploring fungi through traditional Alchemy in Radical Mycology by Peter McCoy and Verdant Gnosis Volume 3, compiled by Jenn Zahrt, Catamara Rosarium, and Marcus McCoy. He has taught through these topics all over the United States. He is the Founder and Owner of Feral Fungi where he produces Mushroom Spagyric Tinctures, and curator of AlcheMycology.com where he shares some of his teachings and writings along side other fascinating discoveries in the world of Fungi. Jason is also a co-organizer of the Radical Mycology Convergence and the Fungi Film Fest.