- Pesticides found on produce and other products contain harsh chemicals that are toxic for you and your children. Some fruits and vegetables are worse than others and should be bought organically (for instance, strawberries). For a full list of the fruits and vegetables to avoid visit http://www.foodnews.org/executive.php
- Organic animal food products reduce exposure to pesticides, hormones and antibiotics consumed by the animals in their feed. Since organic does not allow feeding of animal parts, it also reduces the potential threat of diseases like mad cow.
- Babies are especially vulnerable to toxins and may be at risk of higher exposure. Baby food is often made up of condensed fruits or vegetables, potentially concentrating pesticide residues. Organic Baby Food: http://www.seedlings.com/, http://www.milesoutsideorganic.com/, http://www.plumorganics.com/, http://www.happybabyfood.com/
- Breads, oils, potato chips, pasta, cereals, and other packaged foods, such as canned or dried fruit and vegetables are highly processed foods. Read the labels carefully and if you can’t pronounce it, then skip it. For more information visit http://www.ewg.org/ourfood
Tips on saving $$
- Organic produce is normally less expensive in season. If it is not in season then it is shipped from somewhere else where they are in season.
- Buy from a local farm or a store that purchases from local farms. One study in the U.S. found that 40% of organic growers at farmers’ markets don’t charge a premium on their products. Buying directly from an organic grower may also be less expensive.
- Grow your own. There is nothing like fresh, home-grown produce for taste, cost and low environmental impact.
- Make your own baby food. http://www.babybullet.com/
Angela’s Teachable Moment: Grow your own organic garden with your children. Discovering ways to eat more healthy, organic foods will be a learning experience for the entire family. Plan meals around what’s in the garden and allow the kids to choose the vegetables to eat. When they know where it comes from and why eating organic is important, they will enjoy them much more.
For more information on shopping Organic in your area, please click here