Is hemp seed oil an essential oil?
Posted on April 24th, 2019 to Health
Hemp products are often lumped together with a negative stigma. Whether it is the common misconception that hemp is the same thing as marijuana, or the idea that hemp will get you “high”, some of the incredibly positive benefits of hemp are often overlooked.
Each part of the hemp plant has a different therapeutic benefit. Aside from extracting CBD from the flowers of the hemp plant, the oil extracted from the hemp seeds also has incredible benefits for people and pets.
What is hemp seed oil?
Hemp seed oil is an essential oil extracted from the seeds of the hemp plant. The safest extraction method used to make hemp seed oil is through CO2 cold press extraction. This means there are no added chemical solvents. Hemp seed oil does not contain THC.
While the oil extracted from the hemp flower has the most active number of cannabinoids, the oil extracted from the seeds also contains compounds that are beneficial to overall wellbeing. These compounds include GLA and the perfect ratio of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids. You would have to take several other supplements to get the same benefits you will find in just one dose of hemp seed oil. Hemp seed oil also contains a healthy dose of protein, which can benefit every pet.
- Hemp seed oil is better than fish or flaxseed-based oils, because it naturally has the perfect ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids (3:1) which your dog needs.
- Hemp oil moisturizes a dog’s skin and fur correctly because it is herbal and has virtually none of the side effects of fish oil.
- Hemp oil can prevent and treat numerous skin disorders in dogs, including dry nose, acne, eczema, rash and dandruff.
- Hemp seed oil can enhance blood circulation and stimulate a dog’s cognitive thinking.
- Plus, it can thicken fur texture and lessen shedding.
- Because hemp oil is extracted from the hemp plant, there are no psychoactive effects.
- Hemp seeds are also high in an essential plant-derived Omega-6 fatty acid called gamma linolenic acid (GLA). The Journal of Arthritis and Rheumatology has reported that the GLA found in hemp seeds reduced arthritis symptoms by 25%, compared to a placebo at 4%.
- Hemp seed oil contains less than 10% saturated fats and 70-80% polyunsaturated fatty acids.
How can my dog take hemp seed oil?
Hemp seed oil is safe for dogs to consume in its raw, natural form. When combined with full spectrum hemp CBD oil, hemp seed oil is even more beneficial to pets. For example, HEAL Full Spectrum Hemp CBD from CBD Dog Health contains both hemp seed oil and full spectrum hemp CBD, as well as MCT oil, which not only works to reduce inflammation but is used to shrink tumors and stop seizures.
Angela Ardolino is a holistic pet expert who has been caring for animals for over 20 year and operates a rescue farm in Lutz, Florida. She also is the owner of Beautify the Beast, a natural pet salon and shop, and the founder of CBD Dog Health. Angela is a holistic pet expert and has five dogs, plus 4-10 at any time that she is fostering or boarding; visit www.angelaardolino.com